Saturday, September 13, 2008

Celebrating small milestones with some perspective

Growing up, I would plan elaborate business ventures, alongside my dreams to work in medicine/science, alongside my raison d'etre: drawing, painting, writing, creating. If someone told me (in Jr. High or early High School) that there would be this nutty thing called "the internet" that allowed me to actually sell things I created around the world, I probably would have wondered if they were reading too many Andre Norton or Ray Bradbury stories!

In very early adulthood (young 20's), I was still trying to decide between science, art and writing. And I had a great store layout and business plan for a bookstore/gift shop/coffee shop (mind you, there weren't such critters that I knew of when I was 21 or 22 -- Starbucks wasn't even a twinkle in someone's eye!). I wasn't fond of my college art classes, still have a bad taste from the last class I took, where the instructor was really trying to force me into abstract art (I'm totally realist). BUT, thank God I did start that class, where I got to know Kris, the bestest friend a girl could ever have, more than 20 years ago!!!

I focused more on writing after that, and needlework/fiber arts: knitting, crocheting, sewing, cross stitch. 3-D art with color and texture! And focused on healthcare, where I've worked for nearly 20 years, now in medical academia.

I mention all of this because I'm always fascinated to learn how people end up where they are. There's often a progression that makes total sense with hindsight.

I'm tickled beyond measure that I live in the times that I do, that I emerged from my 20's and 30's intact (many other stories there!), that I've come full circle to the point that am reconnecting with my creativity in a way that challenges all facets of me, while drawing on all of my experiences and interests.

Two small milestones for me! I hit 50 sales this week and am approaching a respectable number of "hearts." It's lovely to see the hard work begin to pay off. It's even lovelier to realize that this is all possible and I'm really looking forward to next Spring's post-holidays and post-Winter perspective and lessons learned about the designing, creating and selling of knitware!

No comments: