Wednesday, May 06, 2009

My poor toe

Well, today certainly wasn't much fun.

I headed off to my podiatrist to have an ingrown toenail taken care of. When I say "taken care of," I don't necessarily mean taken out back and shot, a la Sopranos (which I've never watched before!). I mean part of my toenail removed, which is always an occasion for merriment.

I planned to go to work right afterwords. After all, it's just my toe. (Neglecting to remember the umpteen million times I've broken or bashed toes this year.)

Uneventful partial toenail removal (I politely declined the option to remove the whole thing). I was assured that the anesthestic would last a full four hours. As soon as I hobbled outside, OW, anesthesia was wearing off. :\

It's a funny thing with my autoimmune issue plus peripheral neuropathy. Painkillers and anesthetics never behave the way they're supposed to. I'm so used to asking my dentist for a face block rather than 25 or more anesthesia injections (stopping mid procedure, multiple times, for more, SO much fun) that I forget about this. I don't think this podiatrist would have cared much. He wasn't exactly the warm and fuzzy type.

So, started off in the direction of work. Within 20 minutes, foot was throbbing in pain. Took the next left and headed home. Let work know the situation, planned to log in later after consuming a bucket of tylenol. Woke up off and on throughout the afternoon, totally zonked, which is weird, because my only pain killer was tylenol. :\

The first night is always the worst. I could easily sleep right now, just trying to figure out how I'm going to do that with a tangerine size dressed toe and an unhappily throbbing foot. I have to go to work tomorrow! That should be amusing.

This too I shall survive ... just not looking forward to the experience!

The punch line? After this one heals, I'm having the entire nail removed from my big toe on my other foot - my driving foot. I have no idea how that's going to play out ...

2 comments:

madichan said...

Um, you will have someone drive you home after that next procedure. You *cannot* drive home afterwards. I am happy to do so, if it's not on a Monday or Friday :)

So sorry, B, about your current discomfort! Please tell me that today is not a meeting day? Maybe we can borrow a cane or crutches from the hospital...

heather jane said...

Sad. :( I hope you're feeling a little better!