Monday, July 27, 2009

You can live without many things, but ...

Not without a functioning computer and retain your sanity!

My poor baby crashed on me last Tuesday or Wednesday night. I don't mean crashed, I mean CRASHED, spectacularly crashed without letting me restart without crashing again. Sigh.

I brought out my other baby, which has been on reserves because of a broken keyboard. Missing letters and everything. Including "h," which you might not think is used as much as it is. My fix has been to copy an h, then copy/paste every time I need it. Don't laugh, it works! Kind of. Slows down my typing by about 500%. I'm also spoiled by my full size keyboard on my not in reserves baby, including keypad over to the right.

So, I've limped along since last week - not very well, I might add - slow and cranky typing, missing my files and newer programs, not wanting to update Firefox (I updated Firefox just before my computer crashed, so wasn't going to go there on the reserve).

I spent a lot of time troubleshooting and finally figured that it had to be registry errors, based on the few seconds of info I could see in my event viewer before my computer would crash once again.

Suffice to say that I kept chipping away at the problem, allowing my computer to stay on for longer periods of time, until I was able to download a registry repair program (very reputable one), then run the program, and voila. Computer nearly functional again!

Spent tonight uninstalling unessential programs, disk cleaning and defragging, blah blah blah, but YAY, I'm actually typing this on my hopefully healed computer.

Good thing, because I have a knitting pattern to finish and lots of new creations to list (hopefully tomorrow!)!!!

How did we survive without personal computers? Can you believe that we didn't have PC's or Macs when I was a kid (and I walked five miles to school everyday, barefoot in the snow)? My folks got a computer when I was 19 or 20, that you had to boot up with a 5.25" floppy disk in the disk drive, then every program required insertion of a 5.25" disk. Those were the days ... in fact, I think I'll start a regular series on "the good old days - the 70's and 80's!"

No comments: