Saturday, September 06, 2008

For your viewing and reading (or listening) pleasure

A few picks from my recent media experiences:

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? Wow. Just wow. I'd never seen this classic horror/thriller/whatever movie until last night! I'd DVR'd it a month or more ago, and last night just seemed right for viewing while knitting. Bette Davis and Joan Crawford were both beyond brilliant. I was both entranced by such incredible incredible acting and horrified/seriously disturbed as events unfurled. I can't recommend this highly enough if you haven't already seen it. This is a 1962 movie that is lightyears above a lot of today's mediocrity. Eeeps!!!

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. The author usually writes crime thrillers, and I'd never read him/had interested in doing so. I came across this gem of a book at the library last year and just didn't have time to read. Bought the audio CD earlier this year and it never seemed to make it into my commute queue. But iTunes doesn't work with my version of Vista on the new computer (ARGHHHHHHHH), and I'm too chicken to install a different Vista version for all the obvious reasons (don't you watch the Mac/PC commercials?), sooooo, back to listening to CD's versus downloads to the old iPod. But I digress. If you love fairy tales, folklore, mythology, Jungian/archetypical psychology, a bit of creepiness, fantasy, and an end that is sure to have you crying as hard as I was, you must read/listen to this wonderful little story. I'd love to see it in a movie. Loup-garou, woodsman, knights, monsters, lost children, jealousy, love, loss, healing, it's all here.

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I hate to say how long ago I originally read this, but I think it's 20-22 years. (... sigh ...) I read it on my own ... not for college ... and though I remember loving it, reading it as the grown up version of Brenda is a whole new and thoroughly enjoyable experience. Maybe Ayn Rand is required re-reading for each decade of one's life? It's not an easy book to read on many levels: HUGE, extremely complex and dense with challenges to society's and your own ideas, incredibly uncomfortable scenes and situations, lots of lightbulbs that may be a bit painful to experience, etc. But it's so so worth the journey. I listened to it this time, which is also challenging because you're not able to just skip a page/filter content -- it goes straight from speakers to brain. If you haven't read this, do!!! If you haven't read it in a long time, do so again! I remember late evening/early morning passionate discussions about Ayn Rand with my old buddies (most of whom are still treasured friends), like Phil and like Rich and Jerry. Seems like a lifetime ago, but those discussions would be good to have again!

Off to get my Saturday errands going! I hope to have a few new creations to share here tomorrow. Happy weekend! Fall is very nearly here!

2 comments:

Kris and Rich said...

I'm jonesing for a new book on tape, I devoured the last one!!!! The Third Angel, Alice Hoffman. A must Listen! K

Brenda said...

OK, I'll have to get that one when iTunes if functional again! I'll have to package up The Book of Lost Things and send to you -- I think you'd really enjoy it! Just don't listen to the end on the way to work ..... unless you want mascara all over your face. :P